October 5, 2011

YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY Rock Island, Illinois Office

By Christina Vital
Rock Island Social Security office


Want to stay informed when there are changes to Social Security? Subscribe to receive automatic email updates on popular Social Security web pages with the click of a buttom. Just visit www.socialsecurity.gov/govdelivery. More than one million people already receive updates to the pages they’re most interested in. You can, too. Look for the red envelope followed by a link that says “To learn more, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/govdelivery. Social Security delivers.


Question: If I receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability benefits, what is the effect on my benefits if I work?

Answer: In most cases, your return to work would reduce your benefit amount, and in some cases,
discontinue your payments. Unlike Social Security disability, there is no “trial work period” for people who get SSI disability benefits. In most cases, if your only income besides SSI is from your work, you can earn up to $1,433 in a month (in 2011) before we stop your payments. We have several publications about SSI, including Reporting Your Wages When You Receive Supplemental Security Income, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10503.html.

Note that there are other work incentives that can help you return to work when you receive SSI. You can read about them in What You Need To Know When You Get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/11011.html#part6. For more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.

Question: I am receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Can my children receive dependent’s benefits based on my benefits?

Answer: No. SSI benefits are based on the needs of one individual and are paid only to the qualifying person. Disabled children are potentially eligible for SSI, but there are no spouse’s, dependent children’s, or survivors benefits payable as there are with Social Security benefits. For more information, see our publication, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), available online at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/11000.html. You also may want to read Understanding Supplemental Security Income (SSI) at www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-understanding-ssi.htm. For even more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.


Question: Is it true that if you have low income you can get help paying your Medicare premiums?
Answer: Yes. If your income and resources are limited, your State may be able to help with your Medicare Part B premium, deductibles, and coinsurance amounts. State rules vary on the income and resources that apply. Contact your State or local medical assistance, social services, or welfare office, or call the Medicare hotline, 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), and ask about the Medicare Savings Programs. If you have limited income and resources, you also may be able to get help paying for prescription drug coverage under Medicare Part D. Call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY users should call 1-800-325-0778) or visit any Social Security office.

Also, see our publication, Medicare (Publication 10043), at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10043.html. For even more information, visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov.

Congressional Budget Cuts Force Reduced Public Hours

Effective August 15, 2011, the Davenport, Iowa Social Security office will be open to the public Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. – a reduction of 30 minutes each weekday. While agency employees will continue to work their regular hours, this shorter public window will allow them to complete face-to-face service with the visiting public without incurring the cost of overtime. Congress provided Social Security with nearly $1 billion less than the President requested for the budget this fiscal year, which makes it impossible for the agency to provide the amount of overtime needed to handle service to the public as we have in the past.

Most Social Security services do not require a visit to an office. For example, anyone wishing to apply for benefits, sign up for direct deposit, replace a Medicare card, obtain a proof of income letter or inform us of a change of address or telephone number may do so at www.socialsecurity.gov or by dialing our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213. People who are deaf or hard of hearing may call our TTY number, 1-800-325-0778.